[tz] zdump --version reports "unknown" on OpenSuse 15.1 [2020a]

listclient at hayo.de listclient at hayo.de
Mon May 25 12:49:29 UTC 2020

Am 25.05.20 um 14:20 schrieb mcalabkova:
> On 2020-05-25 11:50, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> On Mai 25 2020, mcalabkova wrote:
>>
>>> after fixing the issue above on my computer I get:
>>>
>>> $ sudo zdump --version
>>> zdump (tzcode) 2020a
>>>
>>> This is different from other distros. Is there any other bug in
>>> openSUSE?
>>> It
>>> looks like the other distros take version info from the last used
>>> compiler...
>>
>> You could set PACKAGE from %distribution, similar to what binutils and
>> gdb do.  Also, it would be good to set BUGEMAIL.
>
> I have tried it (I have also set it to print a real package name) and I
> got:
>
> $ sudo zdump --version
> zdump (timezone; Base:System) 2020a
>
> (Base:System is the repository in which I locally build the package.)
>
> I personally dislike it, after reading the discussion I would stay with
> simple tzcode (the previous result).
>
> I will set BUGEMAIL to opensuse-support at opensuse.org, thanks.
>
> Hayo, are you satisfied with this solution?

Marketa, from the perspective of the OpenSuse user I am fully satisfied
with the solution.

In fact I expected 'sudo zdump --version' to return the database
version. But the man page is unspecific in its description.

>From the perspective of the zdump user, the current situation is not
that good. I think all distributions should return similar output. And
the output should contain the tzdata version. Only that way it is
possible to evaluate the output in portable scripts.

Proposal (for a future version >2020a):
$ sudo zdump --version
zdump (GLIBC 2.28) - tzdata 2020c

> Greetings,