[tz] TIme in Belize

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Nov 12 22:58:42 UTC 2020

On Thu 2020-11-12T14:48:13-0800 Paul Eggert hath writ:
> According to Google Books (which will not give me more than barely-readable
> snippets), page 56 of Volume 55 of the Boston Journal of Commerce and
> Textile Industries (1899) says "At Belize, British Honduras, the clock over
> the ??? ????? which furnishes the time for the town, is usually regulated by
> the time kept by the ships in the harbor." This matches our guess earlier.

That makes me want to find the navigational charts for the British
Honduras harbors which were then in use.  Whatever time was being
reported by the ships should correspond to whatever longitude in on
the charts.  Whether or not charts were right, any other value would
risk shipwreck.  Even when longitudes were obviously wrong, changing
to a different set of charts with a different longitude was done with
great caution and much prior warning.  Further, for Belize the charts
were secondary because navigation required visual confirmation, so
they may have preserved wrong values of longitude longer than other
harbors.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855