[tz] What's "right"?

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Fri Nov 13 02:13:54 UTC 2020

On Nov 12, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:

> On Thu 2020-11-12T10:11:26-0800 Guy Harris hath writ:
>> I.e., that's a counter that started as 0 on January 1, 1970,
>> 00:00:00 UTC, and that increments by 1 every second, rather than
>> getting adjusted to conform to POSIX.
>
> With the historical caveat that as of 1970 there was not yet any
> official document that specified the name UTC.  Until 1974 UTC was
> jargon internal to time service bureaus.  Most available sources
> of time used different terminology.

So what POSIX says in section 3 "Definitions":

	https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap03.html

is

	3.150 Epoch

	The time zero hours, zero minutes, zero seconds, on January 1, 1970 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

and what it says in section A.3 "Definitions" of the Rationale:

	https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xbd_chap03.html

is

	Epoch

	Historically, the origin of UNIX system time was referred to as "00:00:00 GMT, January 1, 1970". Greenwich Mean Time is actually not a term acknowledged by the international standards community; therefore, this term, "Epoch", is used to abbreviate the reference to the actual standard, Coordinated Universal Time.

with no indication of how they define "zero hours, zero minutes, zero seconds, on January 1, 1970 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)."

Should there be a request for clarification of what they mean by that?