[tz] What's "right"?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 16 17:47:33 UTC 2020

On 11/13/20 7:38 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> [Leap smearing has] been proposed formally a number of times, without committee action

Leap smearing is controversial, for reasons that echo the 1970 disputes that
Steven Allen mentioned in this thread. For example, Internet RFC 8633 "Network
Time Protocol Best Current Practices" section 3.7.1 states flatly that "Leap
smearing MUST NOT be used for public-facing NTP servers" while acknowledging
that some public-facing servers ignore this requirement - I assume this is a nod
to Amazon and Google.

It's a real lack of consensus.