[tz] Time zones in conflict areas

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sat Nov 28 18:36:32 UTC 2020

Andriy Ivanchenko said:
> Can you prove that the change of time in any territory is legitimate?
> Who has the right to indicate which time zone in a conflict area?

That is an unanswerable question, so we don't try to answer it.

We work on the basis of the time actually observed by the people who live
in the place. In the case of the Crimea, that's Moscow time whether we
like it or not.

When Germany invaded France in 1940, they changed their clocks to match
German time. I would take the view that that was not a legitimate change.
Nevertheless, it's what people actually used in France from then on and
therefore that's what we put in the database.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.