[tz] KyivNotKiev

Sat Nov 28 21:20:45 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-27 17:52, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2020-11-26 19:27:30 (+0800), Andriy Ivanchenko wrote:
>> What do I need to do for you to make such changes?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KyivNotKiev
>> Are such changes possible?
>
> I'm generally in the knee-jerk "keep our identifiers stable" camp. Insert the
> usual paragraph about CLDR and such.
>
> However.
>
> Given that even the English language Wikipedia has changed though, perhaps it is
> time to consider doing a Calcutta on Kiev (or a Kolkata on Kyiv).
>
> I don't think we need to duplicate the Wikipedia effort to research whether Kyiv
> is now the more dominant spelling in English.  I am happy to take their word for
> it.

How often do you change database keys when someone wants to change how something
is labelled?

Leave the identifiers/keys alone and leave it to localization packages to
provide the labels.

Wikipedia and other political organizations changing all occurrences may be the
reason the web search results change.
English readers/speakers are a lot more conservative and the names being used
during the Crimean war and WWI will still be more recognizable, common, and
current for decades, except for those with political or other interests in the
region, and that now includes subscribers to this list.