[tz] Time zones in conflict areas

Sun Nov 29 23:56:08 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-29 16:07, Andriy Ivanchenko wrote:
> If I understand correctly, any country can regard non-compliance with the laws
> of the country on the change of time as a call to change the territorial integrity.
> Not directly, but contrary to the policy of your country, you claim that the
> borders of another country are changing.
> And this is illegal and there may be responsibility for it.
> I don't think anyone will hold you accountable. But if there is a very important
> reason, it is likely.

Laws are authoritative only when governments control territory and people under
the authority of those governments occupy those territories.
There are a lot of areas under dispute with a lot of countries around the world.
I believe there may currently be issues between Canada and Russia, Denmark, and
America about certain areas, so which law applies depends on who occupies or
uses those areas economically.
Outside of their controlled and occupied territories, those laws do not apply.

But all any contributors on this list care about is what time is meant when
someone in an area says something will happen at 18.00?
That is regardless of the official policy of the contributors governments
towards other governments with which they may have disputes, and with which any
transaction and certain interactions may be illegal.