[tz] tz Digest, Vol 109, Issue 8

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 8 18:42:50 UTC 2020

On 10/8/20 5:41 AM, Alan Lehotsky wrote:
> I’m a little tardy in upgrading (last installed 2018g), but this 2020b release has tar files without a root directory, so when I carelessly did a
>
> 	tar -xzf tzcode2020b.tar.gz
> 	tar -xzf tzdata2020b.tar.gz
>
> they overwrite each others files instead of unloading into respective directories ./tzcode2020b and ./tzdata2020b.
> Maybe this isn’t a change in behavior and I just forgot that it happened to me back in 2018.

It's not a change in behavior. Those tarballs have worked that way for decades.
Some files are duplicates so they overwrite each other (this is so that each
tarball is self-contained in some sense), but those files are exact duplicates.

For a more modern style in which the tarball contains a single directory under
which everything else lies, use
<https://data.iana.org/time-zones/releases/tzdb-2020b.tar.lz>.