[tz] make rearguard_tarballs fails creates tzdataunknown-rearguard.tar.gz file with latest tzdata lzip

Carlos Jimenez Carlos.Jimenez at servicenow.com
Mon Oct 19 22:03:13 UTC 2020

Hello,

I've encountered two issues with the two latest files for the tz changes:

https://data.iana.org/time-zones/releases/tzdb-2020c.tar.lz

https://www.iana.org/time-zones/repository/tzdb-latest.tar.lz

1) The touch command for the new pacificnew empty file won't work on centos6 or centos7.  The date format syntax is generating an error:

I noticed this was already fixed here:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/ce89cbaa436f336dca4b239fa528405abd7d84b7#diff-76ed074a9305c04054cdebb9e9aad2d818052b07091de1f20cad0bbac34ffb52

How long before that makes it to the /tzdb-2020c.tar.lz file?

2) Upon manually fixing the touch issue by replacing the touch command with the fixed version, I am now getting the wrong filenames for the rearguard file and tzcode and tzdata:

Steps:

[root at centos7 tzdb-2020c]# lzip -d tzdb-latest.tar.lz

[root at centos7 tzdb-2020c]# mkdir tzdata-latest && tar xf tzdb-latest.tar -C tzdata-latest

[root at centos7 tzdb-2020c]# pwd
/home/tzdata/tzdata-2020c/tzdb-2020c

[root at centos7 tzdb-2020c]# make rearguard_tarballs

I get the following file as a result

$tzdataunknown-rearguard.tar.gz

I have reproduced this on centos6, centos7 and Mac OS 10.15.6.

I get the following errors as well when I execute it:

[root at centos6 tzdb-2020c]# make rearguard_tarballs >> ../../makeoutput.txt
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Attached is the make output.

This impacts us directly since we have customers in Fiji.  I'm trying to reverse engineer and review what may be going wrong but any help would be great.

-Carlos