[tz] Support for Etc/GMT -style zones ids with partial hours

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 22 07:21:16 UTC 2020

On 10/21/20 11:45 AM, Neil Fuller wrote:
> To be honest, just adding new "Etc/GMT-5:30" identifiers could also cause
> problems (not just for Android), but it seems likely it could be made to
> work without too much effort on the Android side. Even if there was
> enthusiasm here, I would want to try it out and would need to consider the
> effect on older releases of Android

One way to do that would be to add a file etc-rare that contains these
less-commonly-used and/or problematic offsets. Something like the attached, say.
You can try this out in your Android builds. Not sure whether it'd be worthwhile
putting it into tzdb, as this sort of thing could be a neverending story and
anyway it really should be done via a POSIX-style TZ support.