[tz] Europe/Kyiv

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Sep 14 17:45:45 UTC 2020

On 9/14/20 7:37 AM, Ihor Romanyshyn wrote:

> It's possible to add an alias "Europe/Kyiv" for russian name "Europe/Kiev"?
> For more information about this please read
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KyivNotKiev

This topic has come up before; please see the archives of the tz list
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/> or you can do a Google search
<https://www.google.com/search?q=Kyiv+site%3Aicann.org>. We discussed it when
several major English-languages news sources changed from "Kiev" to "Kyiv", and
we will surely continue to discuss it as time goes on.

The tz project is conservative about changing identifiers when the predominant
English-language spelling of a city has changed, and so far the project has
judged that "Kiev" is still preferred. Please see
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2020-August/029203.html> for a recent
quick-and-dirty survey.