[tz] [IANA #1173666] Time zone change - Yukon Canada

Fri Sep 25 05:44:20 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-24 17:26, Erik wrote:
> Following the discussions in March 2020, the database was modified to place
> Yukon (America/Whitehorse and America/Dawson) in the MST(UTC-7) time zone as
> of Nov 1, 2020.>
> It seems that the new regulation re-defines Yukon Standard Time (which used
> to be UTC-9 and is now UTC-7), as permitted by Yukon legislation (note that
> this new definition does seem at odds with section 35 of the Canada's federal
> Interpretation Act https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-21/page-4.html,
> although perhaps the latter will now be amended).>
> Is it a concern that the common usage will be Yukon Standard Time (presumably
> abbreviated as YST) whereas the database is using MST?
I see no reason why the new updated time called Yukon standard time should not
be labelled MST when abbreviated alphabetically, to avoid confusion and
misinterpretation, otherwise one would be forced to clarify using suffixes such
as (O.S.) Old Style pre-2020-11-01 and (N.S.) New Style as-of-2020-11-01.

Perhaps the Yukon Government representative could update us when the Canadian
federal government updates their Interpretation Act s.35 (e) and/or (g),
hopefully soon and also by an Order in Council, so that we have also have that
federal reference to their updated interpretation of standard time, currently
defined as below; link embedded to (e):

"*Interpretation Act*

*R.S.C., 1985, c. I-21*

*Definitions*

*General definitions*

*35 (1)* In every enactment,

*standard time*, except as otherwise provided by any proclamation of the
Governor in Council that may be issued for the purposes of this
definition in relation to any province or territory or any part thereof,
means

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-21/FullText.html#s-35ss-(1)Definitionp-(e)ID0EBCJCA

*(e)* in relation to the Provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta, the
Northwest Territories and that part of Nunavut lying west of the one
hundred and second meridian of west longitude, mountain standard time,
being seven hours behind Greenwich time,

*(g)* in relation to Yukon, Yukon standard time, being nine hours behind
Greenwich time;
/(heure normale)/"