[tz] Terminology: “Central European Summer Time” vs “Europe/Berlin”

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 13 19:43:07 UTC 2021

On 4/13/21 11:52 AM, Guy Harris via tz wrote:
> Perhaps the tzdb*should*  maintain a notion of "metazones", giving them names; it would leave it up to the CLDR to assign localized abbreviations and display names for them.

We could maintain an English-language table mapping time zone
abbreviations to time zone display names, e.g.:

CEST Central European Summer Time
CET Central European Time
CST Central Standard Time
CST China Standard Time

Unfortunately, resolving ambiguities (as in CST above) would be needed
if such a table is to be useful, and this would require something more
complicated and messy. Not sure it's worth the effort if CLDR already
has a solution for this.