[tz] [PROPOSED] Do not assume bytes have 8 bits

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Apr 23 21:07:20 UTC 2021

Paul Eggert via tz said:
> * zic.c (convert, convert64): Mask bytes with 0xff before storing
> them, for portability to machines where bytes have more than 8 bits.
> Although this is surely only of theoretical interest, we might as
> well be portable.

About 11 years ago I was programming what was then the third most common
CPU in the world.

It had a 16-bit byte, which was fine when you were used to it but would
confuse new staff, and we programmed it (mostly) in C.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAP_processor#XAP2]

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.