[tz] [PROPOSED] Do not assume bytes have 8 bits

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 23 21:56:21 UTC 2021

On 4/23/21 2:07 PM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> It had a 16-bit byte, which was fine when you were used to it but would
> confuse new staff, and we programmed it (mostly) in C.

Yes, quite a few CPUs like that exist in the embedded world. And
historically some mainframish CPUs had 9-, or even variable-width bytes.
I put "theoretical interest" in that zic.c commit message only because
as I understand it none of those CPUs are practical platforms for
running zic today.

Come to think of it, even if they were practical platforms the unpatched
zic.c code would likely work anyway because high-order bits would be
silently discarded on output.