[tz] JavaScript IANA date/time library, now with support for leap seconds, TAI, TDT

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Mon Apr 26 16:50:17 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 17:17 +0100, Tony Finch via tz wrote:
> In general I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of using "TAI" in
> computer
> systems to avoid the complications of UTC, mainly because most
> computers
> don't have access to anything like TAI, so you end up with a fudge
> that
> still has the problems of UTC but papered over with a leaky
> abstraction
> that tries and fails to hide the truth.
>
> Tony.

I have always assumed that the problem of having access to TAI was
solvable, using the same mechanisms that let computers know about time
zones.  From the application's point of view, TAI would just be another
zone, with the mechanism for converting between TAI and UTC in a
library.

Am I overlooking something?  Could you say more about your lack of
enthusiasm for using TAI to avoid the complications of UTC?
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
--
get my PGP public key with gpg --locate-external-keys
John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com