[tz] America/SaoPaulo TZ still observing DST

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sat Dec 4 08:21:06 UTC 2021

On Dec 3, 2021, at 11:07 AM, Tim Parenti via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> We made this change in the development repository on 2019-04-25:
> https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/8d1bcf9425ead6fd3447a658b20a8bb8a385228d
>
> The change was released in version 2019b on 2019-07-02.

So the latest tzdata file *from the tzdb maintainers* currently has Brazil not doing DST.

However:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 at 14:03, William Renan Santos (DHL Supply Chain) via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
> In Brazil the DST was revoked few years ago by government, but looks like the systems are still considering the DST change.
>
> I ran the tzupdater using latest file of tzdata and the systems are still considering 1 hour ahead in Sao Paulo. Could you please help me to review and point where in the tzdata file the DST for Brazil was removed?

...if I do a Web search for "tzupdater", it finds Oracle's "Timezone Updater Tool" that "is provided to allow you to update installed Java Development Kit (JDK) and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) software with more recent timezone data, to accommodate daylight saving time (DST) changes in different countries."

The page at

	https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/tzdata-versions.html

"shows which version of the Timezone data is included in the different releases of the Java Development Kit (JDK) software and the TZUpdater tool."

It appears to suggest that if you have an older version of the tzupdater, you won't get version 2019b or later, so you may have to update the tzupdgater (or maybe the JDK or JRE).

It also says that "Since the release of TZUpdater v2.0, users can now update the tzdata version in their JDK/JRE using data obtained directly from the IANA tzdata releases. Refer to the TZUpdater README for more details."  The README to which it refers says, under "2.0 Enhancements":

	o New TZUpdater Functionality: Updating Timezones On Demand
	  Starting with version 2.0, the "-l" option allows the user to point to the IANA repositories and get the tool to compile the latest tzdata sources on demand.