[tz] Fwd: Timezone issue

Marketa Machova mmachova at suse.com
Fri Feb 5 13:33:09 UTC 2021

On 2/3/21 6:47 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2/3/21 4:53 AM, Yaroslav Bilko wrote:
>> Found the nice video with this topic:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE1f6GUvG5Y
>> Girl's pronunciation is accurate with great comments for English
>> speakers.
>
> Thanks for the link. From that video and its comments it appears that
> there's not a consensus about whether to pronounce Kyiv's trailing "v"
> as an English "f", or an English "w". The professor uses "f", but a
> couple of commenters (and Wikipedia) use "w". Perhaps to a Ukrainian
> speaker this is no big deal, but in English it matters.

Native speakers in some (IMO most, but I did not make any research)
Slavian languages (including mine) pronounce trailing "v" as "f",
trailing "d" as "t" and so on. They often do the same mistake when
speaking English. If you ask locals, they would most probably pronounce
trailing "v" in Kyiv as "f" and they would not notice it until you tell
them. It is like "we know there should be 'v' and we write it that way,
but we pronounce 'f' because we are lazy to articulate". Just my 2 cents
:) .

Have a nice day,
Markéta