[tz] Replying to government officials

Fri Feb 12 08:09:36 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-11 22:58, John Hawkinson wrote:
> I wonder if we should have some kind of understanding of when it is
> appropriate for the general members of the list to respond to emails from
> government officials, versus deferring that task to the project
> coordinators.

Agreed and implied for info.
Politics should either be banned to all (miltered), possibly a policy for all to
just totally ignore and not respond, or open to all.

> (I have thought this was a concern for some time, but multiple recent
> messages have amplified it in my mind.)

These posters are apparently emailing from org email addresses, most recently
and last Oct from the government computer center: we have no way of knowing if
they are officials, or the communications are official, or interns trolling for
brownie points, especially when there is no official attribution in a signature
block, almost always included in relevant communications from officials.

In the recent cases we attempted to educate them previously, and they just
repeat their political demands: we need to repeat our responses stating our
apolitical stance and the irrelevance of all politics in this project, other
than that of recording changes to standard and alternate time zones legally
mandated by politicians and bureaucrats in control of territory.
How the data is identified and encoded is in the sole control of the project
administrators.
The rest is us just blowing smoke to support the independence of the
administrators, or advocate for stability or change as the case may be.