[tz] State of Palestine Time zone - need to update

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 12 10:14:40 UTC 2021

On 2/11/21 4:20 PM, Brian Park wrote:
> I don't still don't understand why there is reluctance to add
> LINK entries. Wouldn't that resolve most of these requests?

We'd keep getting requests, though, if word got out that one could plant
political flags into tzdb simply by asking. Suppose North Korea started
calling Seoul "Kim Il-sung City" on the grounds that it's their city and
they can call it what they want? And that is not a fanciful supposition:
North Koreans seriously suggested doing exactly that in the 1990s after
Kim Il-sung died.

At some point we need to say that tzdb is about civil time, not about
settling or documenting other political disputes. We might as well say
it now rather than later.