[tz] "official" zone name alternatives via Link records

Paul Gilmartin PaulGBoulder at AIM.com
Fri Feb 12 19:31:05 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-12, at 07:32:50, Alois Treindl wrote:

> I think everybody could be satisfied by a small semantic redefinition of the meaning of Link records.
>
> The current practice seems to be:
>
> 1. Link records in the main files indicate that a given zone's data are also used for an area in another country.

I notice, FWIW, that the MacOS distribution (at Mojave) contains no
symlinks; the files are entirely replicated.  This needlessly expands
the DB by about 30% (MacOS nicely supports symlinks) and actually
removes information.  The casual browser can not tell at a glance that
files are duplicated.

-- gil