[tz] Some time zone history (3)

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Sun Feb 21 04:57:08 UTC 2021

Thanks again for these incredibly thorough contributions.

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 14:29, P Chan <legco at outlook.com> wrote:

> Barbados
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgX5Bc6Y-VsIi3ioucfhJMcNlHr_?e=wjYyQa

The attached patch 0002 applies these changes for Barbados.  I noticed that
the 1944 DST regulation, unlike the 1942 and 1943 regulations, only
advanced clocks by half an hour, so I incorporated that change.

> Gambia
>
> https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgX5Bc6Y-VsIi0MbGvyuIXGge6Iq
>

> Malawi
>
> https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgX5Bc6Y-VsIi0sbGvyuIXGge6Iq
>

> Sierra Leone
>
> https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgX5Bc6Y-VsIi1EbGvyuIXGge6Iq

The attached patch 0003 handles these three entries, which are all in our
'backzone' file.

For Sierra Leone specifically, I took a slightly different approach in
modeling the 1939-09-05 transition as a switch to year-round standard time
of -01 for the ~2 years it was observed.  I've also retained the 1957–1962
DST transitions from Shanks for the time being, in the absence of better
data or particularly strong evidence that they should be discarded entirely.

I've installed both of these patches in the development repository.  Since
we already incorporated the information you sent on Nigeria earlier as part
of the work on (2), I believe this completes the work raised in this (3)
thread.

--
Tim Parenti