[tz] Negative leap seconds in mainstream media

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Jan 12 17:10:14 UTC 2021

The Telegraph appears to have had one of the earliest posts on this topic
this time around…
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/04/earth-spinning-faster-now-time-past-half-century/

…and, from there, it was quickly picked up by The New York Post:
https://nypost.com/2021/01/05/atomic-clock-scientists-suggest-subtracting-a-second-from-minute/

It's amazing how quickly "fastest in 50 years" becomes "faster than maybe
ever" in popular media.  ;)

On 2020-01-01, DUT1 (per the IERS Rapid Service in Bulletins A)
was −0.177278, while a year later on 2021-01-01 it was nearly the same at
−0.175360.  This is a bit unexpected: In January 2020, predictions for
January 2021 were much closer to −0.30, with only a slight regression
between −0.24 to −0.21 along the way.  In fact, we got near −0.26 in June
2020 before regressing all the way back toward −0.17 in October 2020.

The projections for the year ahead indicate the accumulated difference is
indeed expected to regress again from approximately −0.19 in April/May 2021
to around −0.10 in September 2021, before turning back around.

Still, we've got a ways to go before DUT1 would return to positive
territory — and even longer before it would start to threaten the need for
a negative leap second — so while it's definitely a possibility to
seriously keep in mind, I'm not too, too worried *just* yet.

--
Tim Parenti