[tz] South Sudan to change time zone?

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Jan 20 01:58:38 UTC 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 19:04, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> The version I now see says, "The change will occur at 00:00 (midnight)
> on February 1, when clocks will be set back 1 hour to 23:00 (11:00 pm)."
> This is a bit confusing, because if the change is indeed at 00:00 on
> February 1, the quoted text should have ended in "23:00 (11:00 pm) the
> previous day" to avoid confusion.

The Radio Tamazuj article Steffan shared quotes government spokesperson and
information minister Michael Makuei Lueth saying "our official time zone
should be 2 hours from the Greenwich meantime and that is from the 1st of
February 2021", which I take along with the midnight timing to effectively
mean a transition from 24:00 +03 to 23:00 +02 on 31 January, which is in
line with Paul's proposed patch.

https://radiotamazuj.org/en/news/article/south-sudan-to-change-time-zone-next-month

Perhaps the official announcement (if one is made and someone can
> provide it) will be less confusing.

My searches for official government websites for South Sudan yielded
http://www.goss-online.org/ but that site has no news or releases since
early 2014.  Its homepage says it's been archived, and points instead to
http://www.goss.org/ but that site appears to be misconfigured and,
searching through the Internet Archive, appears to have been for some time:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.goss.org

So it seems media reports may be the more likely source for us, but looking
at the homepages of the websites already cited, it doesn't seem like
there's anything substantive that came out of the press conference at
10:00 +03 Tuesday (about 19 hours ago).

Not that it's too helpful, but FWIW, a handful of people seem to have
mentioned it on Twitter in the past few days without referring to any
particular article or potentially downstream source.

--
Tim Parenti