[tz] Old London Meridian

Tim Jacobs tz at mitxela.com
Fri Jan 29 15:19:10 UTC 2021

Lines 106 to 125 of tz/europe mention the old meridian before Greenwich.
The estimated position is 51° 28' 30" N, 0° 18' 45" W, which would put
it north of the river in the grounds of Syon House.

The meridian markers are in fact all south of the river, and can be seen
by walking the Thames Path on the south bank. The meridian passes
through the King's Observatory, with obelisks to the north and south.
The map on the information boards shows a total of four obelisks marking
the meridian.

The website for the King's Observatory quotes the following: "This task
was later transferred to Greenwich Observatory but not before three
obelisks had been erected in the Old Deer Park in June 1778 to assist in
the exact alignment of instruments in the Observatory. The northern one
and the western one of the southern pair are on the true north-south
meridian line passing through the west room of the Observatory which
housed a tracking telescope. The southern obelisk is due south from the
east room that at the time housed its great mural quadrant."

The position of the King's Observatory is given on Wikipedia as
51°28′08″N 0°18′53″W, which would give STDOFF = -0:01:15.53

I don't suppose anyone is particularly concerned about this, but I
thought I would point it out.