[tz] South Sudan to change time zone?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 29 22:28:24 UTC 2021

On 1/29/21 2:34 AM, Steffen Thorsen wrote:
> http://southsudan24news.com/south-sudan-change-its-time-zone-in-february-1-2021/
>
> "The change will occur at 00:00 (midnight) on February 1, when clocks
> will be set back 1 hour to 23:00 (11:00 pm)."
>
> and
>
> https://www.sudanspost.com/s-sudan-to-share-time-zone-with-sudan-egypt/
>
> https://kampalapost.com/content/south-sudan-changes-official-time-zone

Unfortunately, the third URL contradicts the first one, by reporting
that a government official said that the transition will occur at 01:00
(switching to 00:00) rather than 00:00 (switching to 23:00 the previous
day). This is the first I've seen of such an assertion, and as it
contradicts our other sources I'm somewhat inclined to discount it. But
here is the quote:

-----

South Sudan’s undersecretary in the ministry of labour Mary Hillary Wan
Pitia, Thursday officially communicated, “South Sudan has changed its
official time from UTC +3 to UTC +2; which is based on South Sudan’s
real location on the globe.”

The undersecretary added, “This means that the current time is set back
by one hour. The current 1:00 am will be set back to 00:00 am, from
February 1, 2021.