[tz] CCTF survey on Time and Frequency Metrology - Telecom

Sun Jan 24 20:17:18 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-24 11:53, Paul Eggert wrote:
> I replied to that survey, basically saying that currently our work is based on
> two timescales (TAI and UTC) and that I hope they don't turn it into four
> (TAIold, UTCold, TAInew, UTCnew).
>
> Or would it be three? That would be even more confusing....

My reply suggested they divorce the time scales to allow business systems to use
approximate POSIX like common law legal solar time as they ignore leap seconds
one way or another; allow scientific systems to use atomic time and ignore legal
solar time; and just ignore the ITU as broadcast radio time signals
(DCF/JJY/MSF/WWV/B/H) are unavailable most places, may need equipment no longer
commonly available, and too low accuracy for modern needs; other commonly
available sources are delayed to uselessness by digital processing.