[tz] Breach of tzdb charter: Merging timezones is not within the charter

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Thu Jun 3 04:57:52 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-03 09:03:15 (+0800), Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
> This is a formal request to revert the recent patch to merge country
> timezones. I, and others, consider the patch to be utterly
> unacceptable. The patch causes meaningful harm to the status of tzdb,
> and will cause downstream projects significant pain to effectively
> revert the changes - amounting to an effective fork of the project.

I don't consider the patch a breach of charter.  Given the clear lack of
consensus however, I agree that the patch should be reverted.

While I believe the patch is within scope of the tzdb's stated purpose,
we should be considerate of the many current, actual, real-world uses of
tzdb beyond that scope.

The best way forward would be to revert this patch and to discuss
alternative ways to achieve its intent without alienating a substantial
fraction of tzdb consumers.  That discussion is a lot more likely to be
productive without the (perceived) threat of a release with the
contentious patch ending up in the wild.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer