[tz] Breach of tzdb charter: Merging timezones is not within the charter

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:50:50 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 1:51 AM Jon Skeet via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 at 02:57, Matt Johnson-Pint via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
>> I second this, for the reasons stated by Stephen. Please revert.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt Johnson-Pint
>> (Microsoft)
>>

> Agreed - while this clearly isn't yet a formal voting situation, I believe
> the change should be reverted.
>
> Jon Skeet,
> Noda Time  (.NET Date/Time library) lead developer

As the lead developer of [clock] (the date/time subsystem of the Tcl
programming language)[1], I agree.  Deleting tz names at this late time
simply because neighbouring regions happen to have followed the same rules
since 1970 (while also deleting the historical rules that made them
different) is unacceptable.

Failing that, I invite coordination with the maintainers of downstream
projects to maintain a fork of tzdb rather than each of us having to do it
independently.  I see that PostgreSQL and Noda Time appear to be in the
same boat.

[1] This is not an official opinion of the Tcl Core Team.  (Not yet.  If an
official opinion is needed, give me a couple of weeks to get a formal vote.
I would be astonished if my colleagues disagree.)

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin