[tz] Undoing the effect of the new alike-since-1970 patch

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 14 07:18:27 UTC 2021

On 6/10/21 4:28 PM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:

> If a statement is to be made it should be in both news and theory.

Sure, that could be done. Proposed draft attached. I have not installed
this in the development sources.

> - no pre-1970 data in the main files (*all* pre-1970 data would be in
> separate files, and opt-in)

It should be easy to get the effect of this, by running the command
'make ZFLAGS=-r at 0', which omits pre-1970 data in the generated TZif
files. A similar option could be added to the Java-based equivalent to
zic. If that doesn't suffice for some reason, we could add a flag to
generate a tarball with pre-1970 data removed from the source files;
this would be like the already-existing rearguard-format tarball except
it would be an independent option.

> - revert the patch and any previous patches that merged zones across
> country borders

This alternative is less appealing, for reasons already discussed. I
think we're better off with a technical compromise, such as 'make'
one-liner mentioned above, or something like the compromise I suggested
at the start of this thread
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-June/030220.html>.