[tz] Relation between Time Zone Abbreviation and Offset in Asia

Evgheni Antropov Evgheni.Antropov at addgrup.com
Tue Mar 30 13:26:12 UTC 2021

Dear Tzdata Maintainers,

Is it historically appeared in Asia, that several Locations have Offset only instead of Time Zone Abbreviation?

I mean next  location:

Bangkok<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/thailand/bangkok>  from Thailand<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/thailand> which is related with Vientiane<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/laos/vientiane> from Laos<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/laos> and Phnom Penh<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/cambodia/phnom-penh> from Cambodia<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/cambodia> - all of them is in Indochina Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/ict>, but in repository for file asia they have only offset:
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3823

I don't know is it issue or typo, cause I didn't find any info when this Abbreviation was added https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%2B07:00

For our customers, I added this step before compiling tzdata sources:
# set Asia/Bangkok for Thailand to use name instead of digits in timezone, affecting on Asia/Vientiane for Laos and Asia/Phnom_Penh for Cambodia
sed -i -e '/# Thailand/,/Vientiane/s/+07/ICT/' $(pwd)/asia

but maybe it doesn't require and you will add corresponding changes in the main source code.

BTW, during my investigation, I observed that several time zones have same behavior, ex.:

Tajikistan<timeanddate.com/time/zone/tajikistan> - Asia/Dushanbe<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/tajikistan/dushanbe> - TJT - Tajikistan Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/tjt>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3817

Turkmenistan<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/turkmenistan> - Asia/Ashgabat<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/turkmenistan/ashgabat> - TMT - Turkmenistan Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/tmt>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3834

United Arab Emirates<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/united-arab-emirates> - Asia/Dubai<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/united-arab-emirates/dubai> - GST - Gulf Standard Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/gst>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3839

Uzbekistan - Asia/Samarkand | Asia/Tashkent - UZT - Uzbekistan Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/uzt>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3851

Vietnam - Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh - ICT - Indochina Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/ict>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3920

Sri Lanka - Asia/Colombo - IST - India Standard Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/ist>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3645

Singapore - Asia/Singapore - SGT - Singapore Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/sgt>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3581

Saudi Arabia - Asia/Riyadh - AST - Arabia Standard Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/ast-arabia>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3565

Qatar - Asia/Qatar - AST - Arabia Standard Time<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/ast-arabia>
https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/main/asia#L3518

Please give me explanation of this, is it correct to use Offset instead of Abbreviation or it will be fixed in future?

Best regards,

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D72579.B94CFD20]

Evgheni Antropov
Software R&D Engineer