[tz] Vanguard vs. "main" vs. rearguard

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 19 22:05:56 UTC 2021

On 5/19/21 1:55 PM, Kerry Shetline via tz wrote:
> I take it from this that, for any given vanguard/rearguard section, you can’t have all three formats defined differently, but rather “main” will either be identical to one of vanguard or rearguard.

The script to generate vanguard, main, and rearguard programs uses Awk,
so it can generate whatever it likes and one can program it to have all
three formats differently. I hope this never happens, though.

I even dare to hope that we can decommission rearguard format entirely
at some point. Rearguard a maintenance kludge and hassle and if I
understand things correctly current Java doesn't need it and we keep it
around only because of older Java versions (don't recall which ones
offhand).