[tz] Vanguard vs. "main" vs. rearguard

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu May 20 17:44:25 UTC 2021

On 5/19/21 4:35 PM, Kerry Shetline wrote:
> Can you show me an example of what the format of a three-mode set of data would look like?

I doubt it. I don't think we've ever done it. If we were to do it (I
hope not), we'd probably have to change ziguard.awk to implement it.

There may be an expectation here that the vanguard/main/rearguard
formats are well-specified. They're not. They're purely a hack, they're
implemented only by ziguard.awk, we don't even need vanguard any more,
and I hope the need for rearguard goes away as well. Perhaps in the
future we'll need to do this sort of delayed-implementation again; when
that happens we may do it in an entirely different way.