[tz] So, about those LMT offsets

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun May 23 22:10:35 UTC 2021

On Sun 2021-05-23T22:43:46+0100 Clive D.W. Feather via tz hath writ:
> I would actually say that, if we're going to do something like that, there
> should be a way to put a "not valid before" marker into the zone data and
> have the functions return either an error or a clearly nonsense answer.

My impression is that the answers provided by creating such an
interface would be indistinguishable from the LMT of Kew Observatory
for London, and the city longitudes for everything else.  Those are
already akin to nonsense or a declaration of invalidity.

The disruption caused by creating such an interface and the
maintenance of the cutoff dates would be two reasons to say that what
LMT values are in existence now already implements this idea.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855