[tz] [PROPOSED] Merge timezones that are alike since 1970

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun May 30 00:59:34 UTC 2021

On 5/29/21 5:24 PM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:

> It is hugely "political" to say that Norway or Sweden are of no
> importance to tzdb.

It would be "political" to say that, but nobody is saying that. Norway
and Sweden are just as important to tzdb as Angola, Slovakia, etc. Those
other countries don't have distinct Zones, and there's no justification
(other than inertia) for treating Norway and Sweden differently.

> countries sometimes fight wars. This cannot be
> hidden or brushed under the carpet.

The guidelines say that tzdb doesn't attempt to track boundary changes
due to wars in any detailed way. It would be impractical for tzdb to do
otherwise, given its current organization. I haven't seen any realistic
proposal to change this.

> And you've had repeated pushback from the list on your ill-advised
> "cleanups".

And despite repeated predictions of serious problems, cleanups to remove
unnecessarily political data have worked out well. To the extent that
they've forestalled political disputes they've been a net plus for the
project. (Of course it is hard to show a negative.)