[tz] Pre-1970 data

Eliot Lear lear at lear.ch
Fri Nov 5 15:46:58 UTC 2021

On 05.11.21 16:26, Brian Park via tz wrote:
> Can you explain why [no ISO countries]? Because it will cause
> arguments about disputed places? I think only a small minority of
> places around the world are disputed.

Over the time I have been following this group:

  * YAR, South Yemen -> Yemen
  * Zaire -> DRC
  * East Germany, West Germany -> Germany
  * Yugoslavia -> Croatia, Serbia & Montenegro, Bosnia Herzegovina,
    Slovenia, Macedonia
  * Serbia & Montenegro -> Serbia, Montenegro
  * Serbia -> Serbia & Kosovo
  * Macedonia -> Northern Macedonia
  * Czechoslovakia, The Czech Republic, Slovakia
  * Czech Republic -> Czechia
  * Sudan -> Sudan, South Sudan
  * And then there's Russia and the Ukraine
  * Israel & Palestine
  * And South Africa and Namibia

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

You may say that these are a minority of nations, but these changes have
NOT by themselves necessitated ANY work on the part of this project.
That is a feature.  To be clear, that work would involve someone taking
a political stance, even if that means supporting UN decisions (that's a
political decision).  Better to stick with what we have: observe what
people on the ground think the time is.

Eliot