[tz] Pre-1970 data

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Nov 6 18:00:24 UTC 2021

Two different issues are being confused.

1. Don't have timezone IDs span country countries (specifically for,* country
code*).
2. Use a short English name of countries in the timezone IDs.

#1 former I fully agree with. The
https://www.ietf.org/timezones/tzdb-2021e/zone1970.tab file goes a long way
in this direction, and it wouldn't be hard to add some timezone IDs with
Links to complete the set. Countries are important entities (denying that
feels like https://www.eff.org/cyberspace-independence). While it may seem
pointless to add timezone IDs for some rocks like Heard and McDonald
Islands, there are only a few of those, and for testing purposes it is
better to be complete.

Note: I like the previous proposal to cleanly distinguish between those
Links that are between IDs that really refer to the same place (just
different spelling or name), and those that refer to different places.
Alternatively, a step that would also serve to disambiguate, would be to
have approximate coordinates for *each* timezone ID (not just the ones in
the zone table); IDs with the same coordinates would have the 'same place'
links.

#2 is disruptive, and serves no purpose. The timezone IDs are no more than
internal IDs, with a bit of mnemonic flavor just for internal recognition.
No real implementation should present them to users; especially outside of
the Anglosphere.

Mark