[tz] Pre-1970 data

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Nov 8 08:46:06 UTC 2021

Brian Park said:
>      Are you ready to jump into the political quagmire that is "GB"
>      versus "UK"?
>      Something that people are - literally - ready to kill over.
>
>    The ISO code for the UK is listed as "GB". Not our fault. But I think
>    what you are saying is, if Northern Ireland decides to have its own
>    timezone, we can't do GB/Northern_Ireland, so we'd need to create a
>    UK/Northern_Ireland (that will point to the Zone Europe/Belfast that
>    will have to be created in the canonical TZDB) and that would be an
>    exception.

Actually, I wasn't even going that far: there are plenty of people in
Northern Ireland who would object to GB/London right now.

Note that having "GB" on the back of your car is no longer valid for
driving in other countries; you need to have "UK" instead. So all those
with "GB" fixed in metal or with number plates that have GB in a ring of
stars are now stuffed.

>    The question I have for people who have expressed support for creating
>    a TZ database organized by ISO country, are the benefits worth the
>    inevitable controversies that will arise?

I've yet to see any benefits.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.