[tz] Proposal: Sections for different kinds of backward links

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 16 18:20:44 UTC 2021

On 11/14/21 15:16, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 at 21:17, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>> On 11/14/21 04:16, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
>>> I need to be able to indicate which spelling users
>>> should use.
>>
>> That info is already in zone.tab's column 3. Although that file is
>> marked "deprecated", perhaps we can undeprecate it.
>
> I fail to see how zone.tab helps with spelling issues (as per the quoted text).

Sorry, I'm not following. Not sure what you mean by "the quoted text".

> (If there is a spelling change in `secondary`, there is no mechanism
> to determine which is the preferred spelling, as both IDs will Link to
> the same primary ID.)

I was thinking that one can look in zone.tab. If the spelling is there
it's "preferred" otherwise it's not. This heuristic won't suffice for
arbitrary questions about "preference" (as it doesn't impose a total
order on names) but it should be good enough for questions relating to
backward compatibility with older guidelines.