[tz] Downstream use of 2021c

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Oct 7 14:26:29 UTC 2021

Philip Paeps via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
> As far as I can tell, PostgreSQL is still on 2021a without modifications
> for Samoa and Jordan.  Tom will correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

As far as Postgres is concerned, I've not done anything yet because
it won't matter until our next quarterly releases in early November
(unlike many of the other projects you mentioned, we don't do any
sort of rolling release).

So 2021a is still what's in our git tree, but most likely I'll push
in 2021c before November (or 2021d, if that appears by then).
We will definitely not be adopting 2021b.

Having said that, I think what we ship in our releases affects only a
minority of production users anyway.  Our normal advice for production
builds is to configure with --with-system-tzdata and rely on your platform
vendor to keep the TZ data updated, if you're on a platform where that
receives regular updates.  So the actual state of Postgres databases
in the field is probably just about as messy as you depicted.

> This is looking terribly fragmented.  Spare a thought for a hypothetical
> engineer tasked with debugging a Java application on Debian with some
> Python scripts on Fedora talking to a PostgreSQL database running on
> FreeBSD...

Indeed :-(

			regards, tom lane