[tz] Downstream use of 2021c

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 7 17:27:26 UTC 2021

On 10/6/21 9:26 PM, Philip Paeps via tz wrote:

> This is looking terribly fragmented.

Fragmented yes, terrible no. This sort of disagreement is reasonably
common, as distros are understandably cautious about taking upstream
patches. This was true even before the recent disagreement.

End users should not assume "if I keep my installations of distro X and
distro Y up-to-date, they'll agree about every timestamp no matter how
obscure". That's not true now, and it's never been true. It's not even
true for different releases of the same distro, even if both releases
are being maintained.