[tz] Version identification (was Re: Downstream use of 2021c)

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Thu Oct 7 18:49:10 UTC 2021

On Oct 7, 2021, at 10:00 AM, Tom Lane via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> BTW, that brings a thought to mind: why isn't there an easy way to
> identify the release version of an installed tzdata tree?
>
> I'm envisioning that there could be a text file at the top level,
> say /usr/share/zoneinfo/version in typical layouts, containing
> "2021a" or the appropriate string.  This'd make it a lot easier
> to diagnose what you've got in a particular installation.

$ cat /usr/share/zoneinfo/+VERSION
2021a

OK, so what is that UN*X?

$ uname -sr
Darwin 20.6.0

So what does that mean?

$ sw_vers
ProductName:	macOS
ProductVersion:	11.6
BuildVersion:	20G165

Your mileage will vary on other UN*Xes; I think +VERSION may be an Appleism (Deborah?), and I don't know when it was first provided.