[tz] Version identification (was Re: Downstream use of 2021c)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 7 23:17:35 UTC 2021

On 10/7/21 13:41, Arthur David Olson via tz wrote:
> One odd possibility on standardizing access to version information: a
> zic'd line such as...
>      Zone Version 0 - 2021c
> ...would allow use of the command...
>     TZ=Version date
> ...to discover the version.-)

Clever! I hadn't thought of that. This could supplant the "# version"
line in tzdata.zi, and I suppose a similar trick could be used for the
"# redo", "# ddeps", and "# dataform" lines - though this would limit us
to ASCII alphanumerics and '-' and '+' in version numbers, which could
be a bit restrictive.