[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Paul Goyette paul at whooppee.com
Mon Sep 20 17:11:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021, Clive D.W. Feather via tz wrote:

>> Seems to me that we have failed at step 1, and that to the extent that
>> there is any community consensus per step 2, it is against this set
>> of changes.
>
> I'm not convinced that there is even that much consensus. We're hearing from
> the objectors, but - as usual - not from those who approve or aren't affected.
> I'm currently unclear what the issues are, being mostly an observer rather
> than a significant user of the database.

I think I fall into the class of users which you labelled "aren't
affected" although the adverb "directly" might be missing, since to
some degree the whole world is afffected!  My contribution count to
tzdb is - barely - larger than zero, so I'm not a total lurker!
And I am a member of the NetBSD developer community, where tzdb is
included in the base software distribution.  (HOWEVER, I am writing
this note as an individual, and not on behalf of NetBSD.)

I personally don't have a horse in this race, and either revert or
not-revert works for me.  If I had to lean in one direction, I'd
probably lean towards reverting, and thus returning to something
closer to historical conventions.

However, if a split/fork were to happen, I'd certainly follow the
"original" fork, while perhaps browsing the "divergent" fork now and
then just to monitor the situation.  Any attempt I'd be inclined to
further contribute would be directed at the original fork.

Overall, I think a fork of tzdb would be harmful to the community at
large, but I really have no other practical alternatives to suggest
for resolving the conflict.

So, +1 for the approve-or-not-affected category!