[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:28:49 UTC 2021

The current tzdb only have separate zone for data up to 1970, other than
some exceptions
Forking to include data from earlier times need to considering willingness
of general data user to switch over with a larger-sized database and less
stable[due to foreseeable upcoming contribution to historical timezone] as
well as less accurate data from the past, especially when the number of
computer applications and OS in modern time need to handle files with
timestamps before 1970 is probably relatively less.
It was not without precedent that data that were same after 1970 being
moved away from the main tz file in tz db, with examples including Chinese
timezones except Xinjiang, as well as Japanese Southwestern Islands
timezone.

在 2021年9月21日週二 13:43,Guy Harris via tz <tz at iana.org> 寫道: