[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue Sep 21 21:42:30 UTC 2021

On Tue, 21 Sept 2021 at 22:13, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Admittedly there are few countries
> than states+provinces, but logically there's no difference between the
> two cases.

Of course there is. A 10 year old could explain the difference between
a state and a country.

> My suggestion is to stick with the rules already in theory.html. They've
> worked well over the years.

What worked well was when the data was not constantly fiddled with. I
don't believe this group ever asked for the tidy ups it has been
subjected to over the past few years. All you had to do as TZ
Coordinator was keep the data up to date with new info as it arrived.

> The case for a Munich Zone is
even stronger than the case for an Oslo Zone, as Munich has a lot more
people (and more tzdb users) than Oslo does.

I despair at this. It indicates absolutely no comprehension of the
fundamental issue here.

Stephen