[tz] Issues with pre-1970 information in TZDB

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Wed Sep 22 21:05:26 UTC 2021

On Sep 22, 2021, at 3:52 AM, Stephen Colebourne via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> More broadly, different individuals, some representing organizations,
> have expressed different opinions on what they do or do not want from
> the tzdb data set. Some would like a full historical record of time
> zone data, others want stability, many I suspect have absolutely no
> interest whatsoever in pre-1970 data.

Presumably "stability" here includes "don't convert existing tzdb regions to links merely because they have the same 1970-and-later data" (putting them into the "don't merge" camp); does it also include "don't split existing tzdb regions due to the discovery that different parts of those regions had different pre-1970 data"?  (Those who want a full historical record of time zone data would presumably want those existing regions split.)