[tz] An alternate framing of timezone maintenance

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Sep 22 22:58:59 UTC 2021

I wanted to thank you for this detailed write up.

In response, I'll say that I don't believe that naming is the root of
the problem. There has been a lot of distracting discussion around ISO
countries, city names and more, but the fundamental issue actually is
with the timekeeping data set, not the naming. Whatever a region is
called, it still represents *somewhere*. Changing the history of that
somewhere is a big deal, whatever name you give the region.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the attraction of arbitrary names.
But the existing names will never disappear as they are so widely
used, and so useful. To me adding new names is net negative at this
stage of tzdb.

Stephen