[tz] proposal for new tzdb versions

Almaz Mingaleev mingaleev at google.com
Thu Sep 23 13:59:42 UTC 2021

For Android having 2021a1 and 2021b would be inconvenient. Because
there are hardcoded places which expect that tzdata version is exactly
5 characters. And we can't update that code along with time zone files.

Most feasible way we see is to release it as "2021a Android revision 1",
but that revision field is not exposed by any APIs. There will be
inconsistencies between different APIs on "What tzdb release are you using".

Personally I agree with Tom. Releasing 2021b as 2021a + Samoa changes
is less disruptive.