[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 24 15:04:43 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 7:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> why are you so insistent that the only way to improve fairness
> is to make the default contents of tzdb strictly worse?

First, it's not strictly worse. The stuff in 'backzone' is lower
quality, and adding lower-quality data is not strictly an improvement.
Accuracy and sourcing has been important for the success of tzdb, and we
shouldn't lose sight of that by incorporating a bunch of questionable data.

Second, supporting unnecessary pre-1970 data is more work for
maintainers, repackagers and (most importantly) end users for almost
zero benefit. The timestamps in question are unimportant for almost
every use of this database.

Third, the few people who try to use these old timestamps are typically
doing it wrong. The old data are magnets for errors. For example, the
very few people who use Europe/Berlin naturally think that Europe/Berlin
is reliable for old German timestamps. They're quite wrong:
Europe/Berlin is wrong for most of Germany.

This continued focus on pre-1970 timestamps is unhealthy for tzdb. It's
taken waaaaayy to much of our time. We really need to tone it down.